UPVC Window Repairs South Croydon CR2
Below you can watch a short video diagnosis of a problem DWLG Glaziers encountered with a UPVC window lock that had become jammed in closed position with the locking mechanism engaged.
Glazier, Glazing Service, UPVC Window Repairs South Croydon CR2, Croydon, London.
As part of our Window Repair and Glazing Service South Croydon CR2, DWLG sent our emergency glaziers to repair a broken upvc window lock in the South Croydon CR2 area of Croydon, London.
The existing window and frame is constructed from UPVC, the locking mechanism is a 3 point multi point window lock consisting of a deadbolt and 2 shoot bolts operated by a single espag upvc window handle.
The UPVC window in need of repair is a sash window situated on the ground floor of a bedroom at the back of a residential property based in the South Croydon CR2 area of Croydon, London.
Our professional glazier worked efficiently and was able to repair the window without breaking the existing lock, below you can find a detailed explanation of how the upvc window was repaired.
Our glazier arrived on site and met the client to provide a diagnosis of the problem, it was quickly diagnosed that the upvc window lock had indeed failed on one of the shoot bolts.
How to repair a Locked/Jammed/Stuck/Broken UPVC Window Lock
- Removal of the double glazed sealed unit of glass was required to gain access to the area of the lock that runs along the rebate of the outer casing of the sash opener. This also helps by preventing any damage to the glass.
- Using a small drill bit make a small hole in the recess area that the double glazed unit was removed from at the end of the window where the shoot bolt has jammed, you may need to go through two layers of the upvc to gain access to the locking mechanism.
- Place a small flat head screw driver into the hole and try to drag the metal shootbolt shaft back towards the centre of the window, it helps if you have some help from somebody to move the window from the outside whilst you try move the lock.
- The window should now be open and a closer inspection of the lock should be carried out to see what caused the problem.
- In this particular case the lock arm had slightly bent causing the shafts teeth that connect to the main locks crocodile clasp to slip out of the connection.
- This problem was solved by using a plastic adhesive to glue a small plastic packer into the rebate holding the clasp in place.
- Give the UPVC window at least 20 or so operations to make sure that everything is working fine. IMPORTANT NOTE: do not close the window before testing just in case it fails and you end up with a jammed lock again!
- Once you are happy that the upvc window lock is operating correctly, fit the double glazed unit back into the sash casement.
- Congratulations, you should now have a fully repaired upvc window lock.
UPVC Repairs, Window Repairs South Croydon CR2 Cost
Using our online Window Repair quotation system the cost of the glazing service for our glazier to repair the UPVC window lock cost.
- Window Repair Service Total Cost : £115.00